SAN PEDRO, TEXAS (Cameron County). San Pedro, formerly known as Santander, is located on U.S. Highway 281 where it crosses the Rancho Viejo Floodway in southern Cameron County. The site was part of the San Pedro de Carricitos land grant. The community was a station on the San Benito and Rio Grande Valley Railway in 1928 and as early as 1948 had a church and a school. In 1983 there were numerous dwellings, a school, and a church in San Pedro. By 1976 a coloniaqv in the area had 149 dwellings and an estimated population of 792. In 1986 the colonia comprised twenty-four acres, eighty dwellings, and a population of 360.
Alicia A. Garza Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "," http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/hrszr.html (accessed June 11, 2007).